This class is coming to an end, but the great thing about learning is it has the ability to produce on going yield. Being spring time, I think about the kind of plants that survive winter and bloom again (perennials?). Teachers need to reemerge from a winter slumber with something fresh. Inquiry Based Learning has helped me in this way. Just when I needed a little jumpstart, this class helped me refresh on some important aspects of my teaching.
I have learned some invaluable lessons about how to do design a classroom that fosters questioning in the learning process. Where many times in the past I have forged ahead, I am seeing now that focusing more on the skills and abilities of my students will allow the content of my class to stick in a more productive way. Another great lesson has been using a backward approach to designing lessons. When I look more at where I want the students to end up, I see that much of what I have been doing does little to get us to our goal. This is allowing me to center more of my time and energy on activities that are meaningful.
This summer I will be creating some Inquiry Based lessons for my classes. I hope to start the school year with one unit of inquiry for each of my classes. The ongoing goal will be to do at least one a month. Another goal I have is to spread the word. Part of my passion is to teach other teachers. If I can help others in the pursuit of excellence, that is one of my favorite ways to apply learning.
Source: https://edsurge.imgix.net/uploads/post/image/9224/plteach-1483490225.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&w=2800&h=1134&fit=crop

1 Comments
Inquiry Based Learning Final section offers a useful opportunity to revisit key ideas and think critically about what has been learned. Reflection can help students identify areas that need more attention and connect academic concepts with practical situations. When students are managing multiple deadlines, resources that support them to make my assignment online can also help with organising research, understanding requirements, and improving academic structure.
ReplyDelete