Inquiry Based Learning: Part Four

Inquiry Based Journey Part 4


As I near the end of this class, I have been going back and forth in my head about how to use Inquiry Based Learning in my classroom. While my STEM class is quite easy to naturally let this happen, it will take much more effort to infuse into my regular teaching schedule. 
This past week was a lot of fun looking at the 5E Instructional Model. I have seen the 5E’s in many places, but never really knew the history behind the model. It was enjoyable to think about how the model was formed on a retreat in the late 1980s. (Insert joke here about how nothing truly beneficial is born on these types of retreats. :) 
When considering the template for creating a lesson for a 5E lesson, it looks a bit overwhelming. My first intuition is to believe every box on the form needs filled in. A busy teacher might be turned away by this template at first glance.

Photo Credit: https://live.wilkes.edu/content/enforced/266096-11483.202010/Content/course_files/5E_CFG_Templete-_Blank.pdf?_&d2lSessionVal=nW3TL4spc37zu3KNPUvRZKNhf&ou=266096
Truthfully when I got rolling on the template, I realized I didn’t have to spend a ton of time on each section. The template does a good job of bringing the focus back to evaluating the student learning through a lesson. Keeping this focus is key. Mapping things out like this is helpful. I doubt a teacher can do this for every lesson for every day of teaching. This model seems best to be used for a unit of instruction that would last for a few days or even weeks. 
As the last week of class is about to begin, I am wondering a few things. The most essential question I have, how do I get this started? Do I spend part of my summer trying to reshape my classes for next year? How much time do I need to set aside for this? I also have a few thoughts on the sustainability of this. I want to make sure I start slow and create an approach that I can maintain. I have a tendency to shoot too high and then back off. How can I restructure my lesson design process to incorporate inquiry with sustainable goals in mind?

Post a Comment

0 Comments