The Birth of Riddle Hunts (A Hit With Kids)

The idea of clues to lead kids on a scavenger hunt started with Ron Clark. If they started with someone before him, sorry I didn't know! I am certainly not trying to claim the idea as my own, but I think the best name for them would be riddle hunts, so that is what I am referring to.
So with Ron's inspiration, I created a riddle hunt to go with the beginning of The BFG by Roald Dahl. What a hit! At the same time, another class in Louisiana was doing the same riddle hunt. They also had a great time. That got me thinking that maybe this riddle hunt would be a lot of fun for others, so I posted about it on my blog.
Next the hunt got picked up by Mrs. Goodwin in Indiana. Her kids had a blast, check it here:

The BFG scavenger hunt from anita Goodwin on Vimeo.

Then Mrs. Goodwin posted her video on Twitter and it gathered another prospective classroom from Vermont.

This has spawned two important questions: Would you like to give the riddle hunt a shot too?

but more importantly....

How can we make more of these hunts and make them accessible to all?

The wiki for Riddle Hunts is now alive: check it here.


Post a Comment

2 Comments

  1. I think this is a great idea and would like to try some. Perhaps people could share them on a "Riddle Hunt" Wiki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I love riddles. Would you be interested in writing up some pointers on creating a "Riddle Hunt" on my blog? Email me if you're interested.
    Blessings,
    J. Aday Kennedy
    The Differently-Abled Writer & Speaker

    ReplyDelete
Emoji
(y)
:)
:(
hihi
:-)
:D
=D
:-d
;(
;-(
@-)
:P
:o
:>)
(o)
:p
(p)
:-s
(m)
8-)
:-t
:-b
b-(
:-#
=p~
x-)
(k)