Inquiry Based Journey Part 2



When I posted about inquiry based learning two weeks ago, I was very new to the concept. I was aware of the concept, but have never explored the cogs behind the machine. 
An insight I have gained since that post is how inquiry can shift between three main styles. Those styles would be summarizes as, teacher directed, teacher-student shared, or student directed. When looking at these three styles of inquiry, I have become more aware of my dependency on teacher directed or teacher-student shared lessons in my classroom. Seeing the benefits of including student directed inquiry has challenged me to revamp my lessons. While it may seem like a lofty goal to make all learning student directed, I am learning that a mix of the three works best.
The great part about the focus of class this week (Wilkes University - EDIM 513 Class) was looking at the abilities students must have to do inquiry. 
That list was the following:
  • Identify questions that can be answered through investigations.
  • Design and conduct an investigation.
  • Use appropriate tools and techniques to gather, analyze, and interpret data.
  • Develop descriptions, explanations, predictions, and models using evidence.
  • Think critically and logically to make relationships between evidence and explanations.
  • Recognize and analyze alternative explanations and predictions.
  • Communicate procedures and explanations.
The shift in class went from theory to practice. I was challenged to apply the concepts of inquiry to a really classroom lesson. In doing this, I was able to examine the type of lessons I favor. 
Some new questions have risen this week. The main one I am tossing around is dealing with teaching a school setting where colleagues may not want to pursue different styles. I know that changes must happen with me first. What challenges will a teacher face when their class contrasts others? How do we sharpen each other and help each other pursue excellence? What happens at the professional level when teachers do not share common goals for the student body?


Post a Comment

0 Comments